Wednesday, November 16, 2011

8. I've got a case of the "-tions"

Modulation.
Transposition.
Harmonization.

Not to mention articulation, registration, and interpretation. I've got a case of the "-tions".

Being now 2 days away from the exam, I'm feeling focused. I know what is left to do and I have a vague sense of how long it is going to take to get there. I had my first practice session yesterday and spent the one and a half hours getting comfortable with the organ and getting my registrations set. Beyond setting pistons for the 7 pieces of repertoire (3 solo works, 2 accompaniments, and 2 hymns), it was important to me that I know enough about the organ that I could intelligently register when it comes time for the modulation and transposition sections.

And boy, am I glad we get those 20 minutes before the exam! I read in the examination guidelines that they suggest devoting 5 minutes to each of the sections (not including sightreading, of course). Speaking of sightreading - the guideline book for the CAGO has a really great sightreading example on the last page. Make sure to give it a look. It is a great barometer for where you are in that skill.

I have been trying to do at least two hymn transposition practices everyday. The example on the exam won't be exactly a hymn, but it will be hymn-like and the hymnal is a great practice book. I open it up to wherever it falls and play it five times: at pitch, then down a half step, then down a whole step, then up a half step, and finally up a whole step. I go down first because I find it more difficult. You might need to adjust that practice for your own strengths.

So tonight I'll work on slow practice of the repertoire so I can make sure I know the notes really well. Thankfully, the technical side of the rep isn't too difficult but there are a few "fiddly bits" that I need to tidy. Tomorrow is my second practice time and I am going to use that last hour and a half to get as comfortable as I can with every registration change and with the organ as a whole.

See you on the other side!


No comments:

Post a Comment