Wednesday, November 9, 2011

7. Handy-dandy AGO Materials

Okay... the countdown is officially in full swing. I'm looking at a perfect 10 days to go! I'll be honest with you- I'm stressing out. I tell you this not to make you nervous but to share that everyone stresses out about these things. Its only natural. Don't let the stress or the nervousness keep you from what you want or need. The best things in life are worth fighting for.

I wanted to take the rest of this post and write about the materials that the AGO offers to aid in studying. I ordered two booklets: Preparing for AGO Exams and Colleague Examination Study Guidelines 

You can also order past AGO exams and solutions which I didn't order but would recommend.  (I'm not even sure they were up when I was online shopping...)

You should definitely at least order a few of these materials. You can get them here: AGO Store

It is really helpful to read these- they make the requirements and the expectations very black and white. I don't know about you, but I find this a helpful tool. Its easy to feel like you're doing this challenge all by yourself - these tools can give you the support and an extra boost of motivation you might need in the last few weeks and days.

Its getting real time for me. My college organ professor always says: the last 10% takes the last 90%. Which is to say that 90% of your effort is really going to go to that niggly last 10% of tidying up and "perfecting" the music. Of course, I used quotation marks with the word perfection. I honestly don't think the exam proctors are looking for perfection- I believe that the goal is to encourage personal and professional growth within the membership and to give us all extra boost when applying for positions.

So up for me next is just continuing on with the work every single day. I make a point of working on everything everyday. I usually start with the repertoire and then do transposition and modulation and then go into the accompaniments.

It is my greatest wish that this little blog of mine is providing you support and encouragement on your own AGO certification journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment